Okay, so I know that this can be a sensitive subject. However, when left unaddressed, it really does affect all of us. And by “all of us”, I’m talking to everyone- friends, family, co-workers, significant others, total strangers on the street…everyone. So I feel it’s a subject that deserves a little attention (or a lot of attention depending on the severity of the “situation”).
I’m talking about body odor.
One person smelling a little less than fresh is all it takes to clear a room. Am I right? Yes, yes I am. No one wants to work beside that guy (or girl). And no one wants to BE that guy or girl! Remember the deodorant commercials where the ladies were either “sure! sure! sure!” or “unsure, unsure, unsure”. Well, I definitely want to be sure. Wave my arms in the air, sure. You, too?
Okay, so there are plenty of deodorant brands on the market today leaving you with an array of choices, and no excuse to be “unsure” about your freshness. However, if you’ve started to make the transition into more natural products for your home and family, consider what you’re rolling on those underarm areas. Some ingredients in deodorant can be harmful and are even linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease (eek!!).
While I’m in favor of eliminating any products that want to give us cancer, I’m not giving you the green light to go around town stinking. Ew. No one wants to hang out with the stinky person. I’m proposing an alternative way to stay fresh and healthy, at the same time. Friends, family, and total strangers that you pass by throughout the day will all appreciate this. I promise.
Here’s how to create Natural Deodorant!
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoons Baking Soda (aka Sodium Bicarbonate)
- 2 tablespoons Shea Butter
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot
- Essential Oils (of your choice)
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can place a glass bowl in a saucepan that’s filled with about an inch of water, and place your oils in the glass bowl for melting.
- Remove the oil mixture from the heat and add baking soda and arrowroot, mixing well.
- Add essential oils last (the amount is based on the intensity of the scent you’d like. Remember, the scent will be coming from under your arms so you’ll likely want it to be mild and not overpowering)
- You have two options here. You can simply pour the mixture into a jar to cool and rub under your arms with your fingertips for application (kind of like applying lotion). OR you can scoop and pack the cooled mixture into an empty deodorant container to apply in the common roll-on deodorant style.
There you have it- an all-natural way to stay fresh! Customize it with a scent that you prefer or make a few batches with different scents for a nice selection. It’s moisturizing to the skin, free of chemicals, and easy to make. Try it out!
Stay healthy, stay fresh, and smell nice.
People will appreciate it.