Aside from the heavenly aroma, like the signature scent of summer (so fresh and invigorating!), the lemon essential oil has a pretty impressive resume when it comes to different ways of using it. Obviously, it makes for a delicious soap scent and home fragrance, and we all know it leaves a house smelling squeaky clean (I LOVE when my home is fresh from a day of a deep cleaning! Anyone else enjoys deep cleaning? No? Just me?? Okay then!).
What you may not know is that lemon essential oil has a few tricks up its sleeve that could benefit you and your family in allllll sorts of ways. Bonus? I think so! Here are my top ten favorite ways to use lemon essential. What are your favorite ways?
- Disinfectant – Well this should come as no surprise- the majority of store-bought cleaning products boast a fresh lemon scent. BUT- did you know that there’s a reason behind it? Yep. Lemon is actually a natural disinfectant. Just a few drops of lemon essential oil can be added to a spray bottle of water and spritzed into the air as a deodorizer, odor neutralizer, and air sterilizer. The same mixture can also be used on tables, countertops and other surfaces to disinfect and wipe away germs.
- Insect Repellent – Bugs be gone with a few drops of lemon essential oil in a spray bottle filled with water and spray onto the skin as an insect repellent (notice that this is the same recipe as above? Just ONE bottle can be used as your secret weapon against so many things!). Careful though- this is just for evening use as lemon can increase your risk of burns when used topically in the sun.
- Respiratory Ailments – Create a steam inhalation treatment with lemon essential oil by filling a large bowl or pan with boiling hot water and adding a few drops of lemon essential oil. Have the person lean their head over the bowl, placing a towel over their head and the bowl (like a tent) so that no steam escapes. The person should take a few deep breaths, breathing the vapors in deeply for a couple minutes- and there you have it. Coughs, cold, and wheezes beware! This will ease your sinuses and break up the congestion so often present during the cold and flu season.
- Hair, Skin, and Nails – Lemon essential oil can be used to fight against oily skin and hair (seems a little crazy to say that oil works to STOP oil, right? But it does!). It also has amazing cleansing properties and is often an ingredient in homemade hair products. Just remember that lemon is acidic, so using lemon in the hair and then going out in the sun can cause a lightening effect- which I, as a blonde, LOVE!! It can create some awesome highlights! Lemon oil is also a great nourishment for the nails and can help fight against nail fungus (which no one wants. Ew.).
- Energy – For a quick, refreshing energy boost, combine a couple drops each of lemon essential oil and peppermint essential oil in a glass of water and drinks up. OR, add a few drops to your iced tea!
- Mouthwash – Lemon essential oil can be used as a natural mouthwash. I know, we don’t naturally think of lemon when we think of mouthwash and toothpaste, but it works great! Add a couple drops to a 4 oz glass of water, gargle, and spit. The disinfectant properties are great for germs in the mouth and for neutralizing bad breath odors.
- Heartburn – Yes, this is the same recipe as the energy one listed above, but it can do the trick for awful heartburn. Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to a glass of water. Drink the full glass. This works to relieve heartburn symptoms by neutralizing the acid.
- Anxiety – Scientific studies have shown anti-depressant qualities in essential oils, specifically lemon oil and lavender oil. In the study, the inhalation method, like the one mentioned, was used. Goodbye pills! If you’re trying to live a more natural lifestyle, or are just not a pill taker, using essential oils for therapeutic purposes can be a wonderful alternative to calm anxiety and lift your mood.
- Memory & Thought Clarity – Lemon essential oil, when used in combination with Rosemary can help increase memory, improve concentration, and provide mental clarity. This would be great to use while the kids are doing homework! You can diffuse it throughout a room with reed sticks by filling a glass jar with the oil blend and dipping the reeds in the oil. They’ll never know that you’re secretly helping them study!
- Cough, Sore Throat, Fever – Adding a couple drops of lemon essential oil to your glass of water can help soothe a sore throat, calm a cough, and quell a fever. Lemon oil fights against bacteria, as well as viruses. There aren’t many substances around that can do both- but the lemon essential oil is fancy. I like this best in a cup of warm tea with a touch of organic honey when I’m feeling sick.
How do you use Lemon Essential Oil??