If you’re making an effort to transform your home into a more eco-friendly, chemical-free zone, consider replacing your dryer sheets with a few reusable ones! Manufactured dryer sheets are full of chemicals that can often be toxic and if you’re trying to makeover your home environment, swapping them out can be an easy fix. Some benefits of our DIY dryer sheets are that they are reusable, chemical-free, cost-effective, customizable, and most of all… EASY!
- Combine 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 teaspoon of essential oil. You can adjust this amount to suit your preferences, but I found that that amount gave my clothes the right amount of freshness.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the jar.
- Place the fabric squares in the jar with the mixture. I folded and stacked mine side by side so that each could be easily pulled out without a mess.
- Place the lid tightly on the jar and turn upside down to distribute the liquid and soak the fabric squares.
- When ready to use simply pull a fabric square from the jar, squeeze slightly to release the excess liquid and toss into the dryer with your laundry! Once dry, fold the fabric and place back in the jar.
- Repeat this process until all the liquid has been used, then stir together another liquid mixture to pour over the fabric sheets.
Some Tips & Tricks
- For our dryer sheets, we used honeysuckle essential oil. It has a light, fresh, floral fragrance that we really like. You can use any scent of essential oil or combination of oils that you’d like- but choose something that will compliment your fresh laundry.
- Using vinegar to freshen your laundry is a wonderful alternative to manufactured dryer sheets. Vinegar is a natural softener and great for static reduction. It also contains acetic acid which will break up mineral deposits and buildup caught in the fabric from previous washing cycles- leaving you with SUPER fresh, clean laundry.
It’s that easy! Let us know if you try out this recipe or any others from our blog. Happy making!
Looking for the best soap making supplies? Check out our website for melt and pour bases, molds, fragrance oils, butters, waxes, and more!
Bulk Apothecary is the best supplier of all things soap making!
Bulk Apothecary makes no claims of “expert status” and the company will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the use of the information found on this website.
As with all products, users should test a small amount prior to normal extended use. If pregnant or suffering from illness, consult a doctor before use.