If you’ve wandered through the beauty department lately I’m sure you’ve noticed that Vitamin C is making waves in the skincare aisles. It’s packed into lotions, creams, and cleansers, added into sunblocks and packaged in a concentrated form as a serum.
So what’s all the buzz about? I’m glad you asked! Here’s a little science for ya.
Vitamin C, AKA ascorbic acid, is key to the production of collagen (you know, nice plump youthful lips and full cheeks). Collagen is a protein that encourages the growth of cells and blood vessels and gives skin its firm tone.
Vitamin C also helps to create scar tissue and ligaments so that the skin can repair itself (pretty important). Oh- it’s also anti-inflammatory! As an antioxidant, it slows the rate of free-radical damage- free radicals break down collagen and cause skin dryness, fine lines, and wrinkles (eek!!).
Some research even shows that ascorbic acid not only neutralizes free radicals but also reverses DNA damage!
If that’s not enough, Vitamin C may also reduce sunburns caused by exposure to UV-B rays and reduce the likelihood of long-term sun exposure consequences- like skin cancer! Woah.
Convinced you need Vitamin C in your life yet?
If not for the cosmetic benefits- collagen production, wrinkle reduction and prevention, balancing of hyperpigmentation, etc.- then at least think about it for the health of your skin (it IS the largest organ of the body- I told you I’d be getting all scientific here).
So, I’m assuming you’ve decided that Vitamin C is something you absolutely NEED (if not, please re-read the paragraphs above) and you DO! But- it can be a little pricey. No worries, I’ve got that covered. We’re going to make our own. And here’s how…
- In a small bowl combine 1 tsp of Vitamin C powder with 2 tsp of glycerin.
- Crush the crystals up until they are completely dissolved (if you don’t you will end up with a grainy texture to your serum. If you have difficulty with this, add a few drops of distilled water to help dissolve the crystals).
- Carefully pour your serum into your dark-colored bottle.
- Apply 6 drops onto freshly cleansed skin before applying your sunscreen or moisturizer and gently massage in until fully absorbed.
- Store in a cool, dry place.