4 Easy DIY Shaving Cream Recipes
You’ve found inexpensive, natural ways to make you look good. DIY soap, shampoo, deodorant. One thing is missing. If you’ve ever gotten frustrated with the tiny, expensive bottles of shaving cream or annoyed by the itchy, uncomfortable and unsightly razor burn, why not make your own shaving cream instead? Below are some inexpensive, easy to make do it yourself shaving cream recipes we’ve found that will also help make your skin feel soft and nourished.
- The Classic DIY Shaving Cream Recipe
For this classic DIY shaving cream, you’ll need the following:
- 2/3 cup shea nut oil or shea butter
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oils/oil blend
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- Melt the shea nut oil together with 2/3 cup of coconut oil. Stir in 1/4 cup of olive oil or grapeseed oil.
- When the mixture is fully melted, add in 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Pour the mixture into a container. Do a final, good stir and set the mixture into the fridge to harden. Once it’s hardened, remove it from the fridge to soften a little.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to the softened mixture using a mixer. Mix until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Apply the mixture liberally to where you want to shave. After use, store in a cool, dark place.
- Tropical Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
For this coconut oil shaving cream, you’ll need the following:
- 1/4 cup aloe vera
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4-6 drops essential oil, such as peppermint, and lavender.
- Combine all the ingredients. You’ll have to melt the coconut oil first before you mix it with the other ingredients.
- Store the mixture in a plastic container.
- Apply a thin layer to your skin and allow it to sit for a couple minutes before shaving.
- If the coconut oil hardens or separates between uses, put the container under the shower stream before shaving to warm it up.
- The Manly (Yet Feminine) Homemade Shaving Cream
This homemade shaving cream can be enjoyed by both you and the man in your life. For this homemade shaving cream, you’ll need the following:
- 2/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2/3 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil or jojoba oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the shea butter and coconut oil, stirring until the mixture is almost melted. Remove from the heat and add the olive oil and essential oils. Mix it together.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator to harden. After a few minutes remove the mixture from the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften. Add the 2 teaspoons of baking soda to the mixture with a mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Move the mixture back into the refrigerator to harden until it is used. Scoop it out with a spoon when you want to use it.
For a lighter shaving product, you can make your own shaving gel instead. Here’s a recipe for homemade shaving gel:
Lightweight Homemade Shaving Gel
You will need the following:
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 drops tea tree essential oil
Dissolve the salt in the warm water, and then blend all remaining ingredients together. Put in a container with a lid.
- Homemade Lavender Sandalwood Shaving Cream
For this lavender sandalwood homemade shaving cream, you’ll need the following:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 tablespoon castile soap
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a cold bowl using a mixer for 4 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Transfer your shaving cream to a container.
- Depending on the temperature of your bathroom, the cream could melt or harden. This is normal. You can re-whip the mixture if you like the fluffy texture.
If you’ve found this interesting, you may be interested in some of the other natural products Bulk Apothecary offers. We not only have a wide selection of raw ingredients and essential oils, we also have DIY candle and soap making kits. Check out our online selection of all natural products or contact us with any questions you may have regarding any health benefits of any of our products.